We are coming to the end of Lent on Holy Thursday, and we start three days of remembering and celebrating (Triduum) on the evening of Holy Thursday. We celebrate God’s New Covenant at the Last Supper; the Passion of Christ on Good Friday afternoon; the waiting of Holy Saturday; and joyfully the Resurrection of Easter Sunday!
DENTAL SAFARI MAY 8th
We have invited Dental Safari to come back again to provide dental exams and dental work right here in the school. No need for dentist appointments and missed work/school. Turn in your reservation form today! All of next year’s 2nd and 6th graders must have a dental exam, and this would cover it.
SCHOOL REGISTRATION IS OPEN
BE OUR MARKETERS! Bring in new students! Registration is now open! Only $50 before May 15! Current families must also register for next year. We ask you to also spread the word to friends, churches and neighbors!
SPRING CONCERT, SUNDAY, MAY 5 at 3 PM
All students must attend! Please check early for black pants, white shirt and black dress shoes. Invite family and friends, as this is going to be a great event! Students arrive no later than 2:30 PM.
THANK YOU FOR GETTING YOUR STUDENTS TO TESTING THIS WEEK!!!
PRAYER REQUEST FOR HEALING FOR SISTER KATHLEEN MURRAY. SHE BROKE HER KNEE!
We will be on break April 18 – 22 (Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday). Classes resume Tuesday, April 23. We hope you can find a Church Community to join for this most Holy of Christian Celebrations on Easter Sunday.
NEXT PTO MEETING FOR FAMILY BBQ
Join us Apr 25 at 6 pm to help plan the May 10 Family BBQ! Help this year to make this fun event a great success!
SUMMER SESSION: Our Summer Session will run from June 3 – June 21. Please return registrations ASAP!
Regular Summer Session is from 8:30 – 12:15. Sister Thea Bowman Academy Summer Session runs 8:30 – 3:00. Uniform is uniform shirt, appropriate shorts/pants, and tennis shoes. Breakfast and lunch will be served.
17 Gr 3 Mass; 4th Qtr Mid term
18 – 22 Easter Break
23 Classes Resume; Poem in Your Pocket 23-26 Apr
24 8th Gr Holocaust Museum Tour 8:30 -12:30
25 4th Qtr Midterm sent home; Family BBQ Meeting 6 PM
26 Grade 2 Mass
May 1 Gr 1 Mass; All School Spring Concert Rehearsal 10 AM
May 5 SPRING CONCERT 3 PM
LIKE our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/theabowmanschool or our web page at stbcs.com.
“HELP YOU HELP YOURSELF”
1) Take your story of the school out to other families, friends, neighbors, church families, etc. If there are families who have K-8 students who would benefit from a Sister Thea Bowman Catholic School education, then talk to them about enrollment.
2) Take our story of the school out to your family members, friends, organizations and churches, etc. Provide them information on the IL Invest in Kids Scholarship Program.
3) Participate in and invite potential families to the Family BBQ on May 10 after school!
4) This next school year is our 30th Anniversary as Sister Thea Bowman Catholic School. Are you an alumni, or do you know one who would like to help us plan Alumni events? Let us know!
5) Become our Outreach Coordinator, a paid, part-time position. If you are interested, contact the office!
6) Give us names of potential partners (businesses), so we can invite them, and you, to a tour and lunch event to get to know the school.
For more information, please contact me or one of our teachers at the school!
Blessings and Peace,
– 98% of our students graduate high school on time!
– Over 90% of graduates go to college, trade school, or the military!
– We brought in a new Language Arts Curriculum for K-8 two years ago to help our students.
– We brought in a new Math Curriculum K-8 this year to help our students.
– We will bring in a new Hands-On Science Curriculum next year for K-8 through a partnership with Washington University in St Louis.
– We have partnered with St Louis Black Authors of Children’s Literature for the Believe Project to provide a Reading Room and over 800 books about black characters and culture or written by black authors. Our focus audience is our K-3 students to engage them in reading and to have them reading at or above grade level by 3rd Grade.
– We have won an Innovative Technology Education Fund Grant to run Operation Green School, a project-based learning, hands-on project for 6th – 8th grade, using the latest technology for the classrooms.
– We will begin our second year of partnering with ACCESS Academies of St Louis to support our Sister Thea Bowman Academy (Grades 6-8) with a longer school day, summer session, and Graduate Support Director support in middle school, high school, and college. The program offers Scholarships, work programs, and financial support to make any St Louis area faith-based college prep high school available to our students!
These are some of the highlights we want to share with you and the community about our school!
Please pass the information along!!!