Who can give kids hope? The Candy Man can
published in the Belleville News Democrat by Teri Maddox, September 22, 2013
Sammy Davis Jr. is ancient history for students at Sister Thea Bowman Catholic School in East St. Louis.
But they whooped and hollered when impersonator Nicholas Brooks sang Sammy’s 1972 hit “The Candy Man.”
“That was one of my favorite assemblies ever,” said Christina Burrell, 13, of Fairview Heights. “I want to be in showbiz, and he gave me pointers on how to be myself and stick with it.”
Nicholas, 33, of Las Vegas, returned to his old neighborhood to encourage children to follow their dreams.
September 26, 2013
THE GOOD NEWS
Our blessing this week has been a new volunteer-Matthew Guiffre-from an organization called the Loretto Volunteer Program. This program invites young adults (ages 21-30) to serve for a year with social justice organizations while living a simple, communal life style with other volunteers. Matthew spent last September through November in Kenya working at an orphanage and before that he hosted a morning show on KNOM Radio Mission in Nome, Alaska. He will spend the year with us helping in a variety of ways. Thank you, Matthew, and thank you to all the other parents/guardians who have completed the Initial Child Protection Course and now volunteer in our classrooms. We are blessed!
PINWHEELS FOR PEACE
Our students and staff joined over 3.5 million people across the globe in participating in the annual Pinwheels for Peace project as part of the International Day of Peace. The pinwheels that grace the front lawn of our school have images and messages for peace which are being carried out into the world. May peace prevail on Earth!
Midterm reports will be sent home with your child tomorrow, September 27. Please note that all tuition, meals, and Extended Day payments must be current in order to receive this report. Thank you for your cooperation.
Mass tomorrow will be led by the sixth graders. All are welcomed to attend.
Next week, students in grades 3, 5, and 7 will continue with testing as they complete the Cognitive Ability Test. Also, if a student missed a section of the test, time will be given to help them make it up. In order to give your child every opportunity to continue to do well, please make sure they get plenty of rest, eat a good breakfast, and get to school on time. Thank you for your cooperation.
The September Peacemaker activity will be storyteller, Candy Pettiford. She will read her newest book, Oh the Things You Can Do, (When You Don’t Watch TV) as part of our healthy living initiative. The activity will take place on Friday, September 27. Students who have not received an orange WIN slip in September will be able to be out of uniform tomorrow, enjoy a snack, and participate in the storytelling. Please check the handbook to make sure they follow the non-uniform dress code.
Students who signed up will have a basketball practice schedule in their Thursday envelope this week. Practice starts next Monday at Blessed Sacrament School for both boys and girls. Students must be passing all coursework and have respectful behavior in order to play.
EXTENDED DAY-SESSION 2
Session 1 of Extended Day ends next Thursday, October 3. Please complete the enclosed form if you are interested in enrolling your child in Session 2, which begins on Tuesday, Oct. 8 and ends on November 22. The cost for the 6-week session is$40.00 for one child and $60.00 per family. Students are placed in one of three groups: K-2 supervised by Ms. Crystal, grades 3-5 supervised by Mrs. Spencer, and grades 6-8 supervised by Ms. Mary. Building of skills and more individualized instruction and homework help is emphasized.
There will be no school on Friday, October 4, because our staff will participate in the annual Diocesan Convention at Holy Trinity in Fairview Heights. Mass next week will be held on Thursday.
Students will be dismissed at 12:30p.m. on Monday, October 7, because of the monthly staff meeting. There will be bus service, breakfast and lunch. There will be no Extended Day.
The 2nd Session of Extended Day will begin Tuesday, October 8, 2013. This program gives students a snack, a place to work on their homework, get extra academic support, and enjoy an enrichment activity. Extended Day runs Monday through Friday, from 3:30p.m.-5:00p.m., and each session lasts six weeks. Attendance on Fridays is optional. The second session will end on Friday, November 22, 2013.
A grant covers a portion of the costs associated with this program. To cover the rest, a $40.00 fee is charged per student for this six-week session. The family rate is $60.00.
With the exception of illness, or participation in sport practices and game schedules, students must commit to attending Monday through Thursday of the six-week session, and stay until the 5:00p.m. dismissal.
If interested, please return this form along with payment by Thursday, October 3. Contact the school office if you have any questions.
Ms Mary McGeathy
August 6, 2013
TROPHIES LOOKING FOR A GOOD HOME! 1983 to Present:
- Blessed Sacrament 8th grade boys basketball tournament 2nd place 2002
- St. James Tournament 25th Anniversary 5th place 1995
- St. James 6th grade tournament consolation 1995/1997/1998
- St. James 6th grade tournament 2nd place 1993/1996
- Sis. Thea Bowman school 1994-95
- Althoff grade school tourney 3rd place 1987/ 2nd place 1988
- Metro CYO parochial 2nd place 1984
- Metro CYO midgets 1st place 1984
- St. Marys 7th grade tournament 1st place 1996
- Reaching out youth publication board superstar contest winner 1992
- Althoff grade school tourney 3rd 1985
- Althoff catholic high school boys feeder basketball tournament consolation champs 2002
- Althoff grade school tournament consolation 1989
- 5th place Althoff grade school tourney 1984
- St. Mary Spartans 7th grade boys basketball tournament 2nd place 2002
- 2nd place cathedral holiday tournament 5th place
- 5th annual SS. Peter and Paul 7th grade boys basketball tournament consolation (donated by SS. Peter and Paul booster club)
- Althoff feeder tournament 3rd place 1991
- Metro CYO div. 4 parochial 1984
- 2nd place holiday tournament
- Belleville diocesan 3rd place 1987
- Reaching out superstar contest winner
- 3rd annual SS. Peter and Paul 7th grade boys basketball tournament 2nd place (donated by SS. Peter and Paul booster club)
- Althoff catholic high school grade school feeder tournament 1st place 2000
- Althoff catholic high school – grade school feeder tournament 4th place 1999
- St. James tournament 4th place 1998
- St. James tournament 5th place 1997
- St. James tournament 2nd place 1995
- 2nd annual St. Stephen JP. Boys invitational tournament
- St. James tournament 5th place 1990
- St. Marys 7th grade tournament 2nd place 1998
- Metro CYO division II volleyball 1998-1999 2nd place Midget
- Metro CYO central division 1995-1996 2nd place midget
- Cathedral holiday tournament consolation 1983
- Metro CYO central division 1993-1994 1st place parochial
- Metro CYO central division 1991-1992 2nd place midget
- Queen of Peace 5th grade basketball tournament 2001 consolation
- Queen of Peace 6th grade basketball tournament 5th place 1992
- Queen of Peace 6th grade basketball tournament 3rd place 1998
- Queen of Peace 8th grade volleyball tournament consolation 1990
- 85 metro CYO 86 south div. parochial “A” list
- Queen of Peace 6th grade basketball tournament 2nd place 1996
- Queen of Peace 6th grade basketball tournament 4th place 1997
- Queen of Peace 5th grade basketball tournament 5th place 1998
- Queen of Peace 5th grade basketball tournament 3rd place 1997
- 1997 3rd annual St. John Neuman 6th grade girls volleyball tournament consolation champs
- St. Mary 7th grade boys basketball tournament 2001 3rd place
- Metro CYO central division 1990-91 1st place parochial
- Metro CYO central division 1991 1st place parochial
- 1994 Belleville diocesan finalist large school boys basketball parochial division
- Metro CYO central division 1995-1996 1st place parochial
- 1995- 1st annual St. John Neuman 6th grade girls volleyball tournament consolation champions
- Blessed sacrament 8th grade basketball tournament 2nd place 1996
- Metro CYO central division 1996 2nd place midgets
- Boys diocesan basketball tournament parochial A division 1st place 2005
- 2003 Belleville diocesan first place class “AA” school track and field team award
- Blessed sacrament 8th grade tournament 2nd place 1994
- 1996 Belleville diocesan runner up large school boy basketball parochial division
- Blessed sacrament 8th grade basketball tournament 2nd place 1997
- Diocesan track meet midget girls division class “AA” school first place 2003
- Metro CYO division II 1998-99 2nd place parochial
- Girl diocesan volleyball tournament midget A division 2nd place 2004
- St. Marys 7th grade girls basketball tournament 5th place 1996
- Blessed sacrament 8th grade basketball tournament 3rd place 1998
- Diocesan track meet midget boys class “AA” champions 2002
- 2002 Belleville diocesan 3rd place class “AA” school track and field team award
- Girls diocesan volleyball tournament class “AA” – midget 4th place 2002
- St. Marys 7th grade girls basketball tournament 3rd place 2000
- St. Clare 6th grade girls basketball tournament 2000 2nd place
- Althoff grade school tourney 1st 1986
- Blessed sacrament 8th grade basketball tournament 1st place 1997