What Does the Second Week of Advent Candle stand for?
The first advent candle (“The Prophet’s Candle”) is purple and represents hope. The second advent candle (“The Bethlehem Candle”) is also purple and represents peace. In some traditions, the second candle and the fourth one (“The Angel’s Candle,” representing love) may be interchanged.
Peace is a central theme of the advent season but the main focus of the second week of Advent. One of the prophecies about Jesus calls him “the Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6-7). When the angels appeared to the shepherds, they ended their message by saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests” (Luke 2:14). When Simeon saw baby Jesus in the temple, he thanked God that he could now die in peace for he had seen the Messiah (Luke 2:29-33).
Some important dates:
- December 21…………………….Advent Prayer Service
*PLEASE NOTE: THERE WILL BE NO ACCESS ACADEMY OR EXTENDED DAY ON DECEMBER 21. ALL STUDENTS WILL BE DISMISSED AT 3:30
- December 22……………..…….½ Day / 12:30 Dismissal
- December 23 – January 3……….Christmas Break
For Your Information:
- Thank you to all those who attended our Donuts with Dads this week. We will be doing this again soon. Plan on having a similar event with our wonderful mothers, grandmothers, and mother-figures in the future.
- A friendly reminder that all students need to have masks when they are in the school building. New masks cost $.50. Please note this is not for punishment. First, it is a safety measure so that our COVID numbers continue to stay low. Second, we are running out of masks, and will need to continue to purchase more.
- Another reminder for our Annual Advent Prayer Service which will be held on Tuesday, December 21 at 7:00 PM. 2 Tickets will be sent home in a sealed envelope in your Thursday envelopes next week.
Do not forget: The Advent Prayer Service is MANDATORY for all students. Our Advent Prayer Service is an annual event, but our students have not ministered for the past few years (due to COVID). This is an integral part of our faith-based education and one that our students have been preparing for many weeks.
- Please note that consistent attendance at school is imperative to a quality education. Your child’s attendance also could effect whether your child is promoted to the next grade. Your child is expected to be at school every day, even our ½ days.
- ith the VERY minor flurries we had on Tuesday, please see the included flyer about No School Announcements for Inclement Weather
- Permission forms for Extended Day Session 4 will be in your Thursday envelopes for this week and next. Extended Day Session 4 will begin on January 4. (Students return to school).