Lent is often called a journey. We march not through space but through time, and the march is rarely merry. Like the prodigal son, we are a long way off from where we want to be. In many of the Lenten scriptures, like the tale of Noah’s flood, people are on the move. God told Sarah and Abraham, “Go from your country and your kindred.” And so they set out in search of the Promised Land. Their children and their children’s children continue the adventure.
As in the tale of Noah, the number 40 often gets connected to the tales of travel. One such story is harsh and difficult, but a key to entering into the mystery of Lent: in the days that the Hebrew people journey from slavery in Egypt to freedom to the Promised Land, the slave-born generation was condemned to perish in the desert, so that only their free-born children would enter their homeland in Canaan. This passing of one generation to another took 40 years.
-School Year, Church Year
Some important dates:
- Monday, March 7 – WE HAVE SCHOOL / NO TEACHERS’ INSTITUTE
- Tuesday, March 8 – 8th Grade Graduation Meeting (8th Grade Families Only). 5:00 PM – After Access
- Saturday, March 12 – Sister Thea Bowman Benefit Auction
- Monday, March 14 – No School – Professional Development Day
- Wednesday, March 23 & Thursday, March 24 – Report Card Conferences
- Friday, March 25 – No School
For Your Information:
- Report Cards Conferences will be held on:
- Wednesday, March 23 from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM (3:30 Dismissal / No Access or Extended Day)
- Thursday, March 24 from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM (No School)
Included in this Thursday envelope is additional information regarding registering a time to meet with your student’s teacher. Please note that conferences ARE MANDATORY and your child will not be allowed to attend back until a conference is held.
- Scholastic Book Fair!! During our Report Card Conferences, we will have Scholastic Book Fair here for the kids. Contact Kindergarten Teacher Beth Smith (618-973-6100) if you would be interested in helping with the Fair. If you get Ms. Smith’s voicemail, please leave a message please let her know your name, cell number, and the name of your student.
- (8th Grade Parents Only). Please plan on attending an 8th Grade Parent meeting on Tuesday, March 15 at 5:00 PM. Attendance at this meeting is MANDATORY.
- Thank you for your patience this week as we had to fix a major piping issue in our school. Recently, a pipe located under our elementary playground burst and was leaking into our boiler room. Thankfully, at no time were we without water, but it was an issue we needed to address. The final phase of the project was completed this past Monday. Again, thank you for your flexibility.
- We were originally scheduled to have a Sister Thea Bowman Open House for current and prospective students on Tuesday, February 1. Yet, because of COVID, we are trying to limit the number of outside individuals into our building. We are tentatively planning on having our Open House / STEM Night on April 7.
Every year, Sister Thea Bowman holds our Annual Benefit Dinner & Auction. This is an important event and fundraiser for our students. Please take a moment to look at the invitation included in our Thursday envelopes and PLEASE share with your family and friends.